Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pitch'n roll!

Nearly 24 hrs on the boat right now, and the captain has commented the situation as "gently rocking". Well, let me tell you: beware of evaluations by seamen... Luckily, I have industrial stocks of The Magic Cocktail, being cinnarizine and dimenhydrate. No fish-feeding for me :-) but a constant impersonation of a substituted junkie. And I'm far from being the only one: we (read the not so sea worthy passengers) sleep for the best part of the day, because of the side effects of the drugs.

The scenery is high sea, so water and waves, and the occasional rainbow. Temperature hasn't dropped noticeably yet, and luckily, there is a great cook on board (French ship, what else…)

Since there is no MD on board for this crossing over, I've also been appointed ship surgeon (as long as everybody keeps sleeping the drugs off rather than trying to part from his/her stomach, it's quite an easy job. So, I've taken quarters in the "hospital", being more a gentrified sick bay.

Passengers on the Astrolabe are mainly French and Italian scientists rejoining different bases around Dumont d'Urville. I'm sending this blog through the satellite link we have: no internet, but the possibility to send and receive mail messages, as long as the size remains manageable. Let's check if this works...

Nathalie.